Village Hike to the Nile

Hours out of the City limits, we drove along dust covered roads surrounded by forests of banana trees and tea fields until finally we arrived at a group of broken down huts. The training of pastors today would take place on dirt floors and in the shade of a large thatch roof Church. The more I train Africans, the more I am hit with the reality of Biblical truths. Africans talk about speaking in tongues and demon possession as if it is a daily occurrence. Obviously, I go from being the teacher to being the student as I learn the African perspective on faith.
After training, I found a dusty trial leading off into the distance, and it called my name. As I hiked, I found more thatch roof huts every fifty yards or so. It was exciting to stop and talk to the families that lived in the homes. They were amazed by the color of my skin. A man by the name of Simon saw me on the trail and begged me to hop on his bike so he could take me to meet his family. They welcomed me in and we sat and talked for a while before I continued on my hike. Time passed quickly as I met more and more locals, but the grand finale of the hike was finding the Nile River. It was filled with fishermen and made for a great climax before the hike home.

God…You’re my everything.
Training local Ugandans to be pastors has been fun, but seeing God move in the lives of the students at Annie’s school has been incredible. A few weeks ago, I was asked to speak at a chapel for the High School and Middle School students. We talked about what it means to believe. God began to move, and after we finished, 8 out of 22 students stayed behind to talk about how to move deeper in their faith. One of those made a first time decision, and several have made re-dedications. Also, on of our friends, Lisa Fish, spoke to both the younger and older students the following week, and several others made decisions for Christ as well. As she prayed with one student, he made clear the sincere cry of his heart by saying, “…God, you’re my everything.” God is really moving in that school, and it is such a blessing to see the Him move in so many!

Rolexes…only 600 Shillings
These Rolexes are hot, only 600 shillings, and on every street corner. The only catch is that 600 shillings is roughly 33 cents, and these Rolexes you don’t wear- you eat. Ugandans love their early morning breakfast, so these Rolexes, omelets in a pita, hit the spot. All you need to make them is a bamboo hut, metal pan sitting over hot coals, lots of oil, egg, tomato, onion, and a pita shell. The sit heavy, but taste great!!!

3 Comments:

  1. Johnny T said...
    wow. that is really exciting brad. if there's one thing i admire about you it's your willingness to take advantage of every opportunity. It's too bad africa so far away, i'd love to come and take part.
    Anonymous said...
    I am so so so so so proud of you guys! I know God is using you in mighty ways in Africa! Randy and I love and miss you both.
    Jason said...
    Hey Ya'll. So good to catch up via your blog. Brad, your mom just told me about this today. Thanks for letting me know - you're a big fat slacker. Seriously though, ya'll are in my prayers and I'm so excited to see how God has already chosen to use you both! Please add me to any email/mailing list you have and let me know how we can be praying. God Bless, Jason. jason@columbiasc.younglife.org - 3106 Park St. Columbia, SC 29201

Post a Comment





Copyright 2007| Blogger template customized by Peter Lublink.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.